Visitation of South African Prisoners
by South African Diplomatic Representatives in Thailand
FOR WRITTEN REPLY
QUESTION NO 336
PUBLISHED IN THE INTERNAL QUESTION PAPER NO 7 OF 30
MRS SM CAMERER (DA) TO ASK THE MINISTER OF FOREIGN
(1) Whether it is the practice of South African diplomatic
representatives in Thailand to visit and/or to arrange
visits to South Africans being held in prisons in Thailand;
if not, why not; if so, (a) how often are South African
prisoners visited and (b) when was the last visit to
two prisoners (names furnished - William A Bosch and
Sean G Allan);
(2) Whether any visits by the families of these prisoners
have been arranged by South African diplomatic representatives;
if not, why not; if so, when were such visits arranged?
(a) Prisoners in Thailand are visited at least 4 times
per year by the official responsible for consular work.
(b) On 24 June 2004.
(2) Yes. Only one open prison visit was requested/paid
by the Allan family during his term of imprisonment:
- Mr Allan was visited by Mr and Mrs Allan and his
son on 6 August 2002 between 13h00 and 15h00.
- Messrs Allan and Bosch were visited by the Allan
family on 8 August 2002 between 09h00 and 11h00.
We have no request on record for a visit by the Bosch
family to Mr William Bosch.