Status on the Performance Assessments for all Senior Management
Officials from the Rank of Director and above, including Heads of Mission
FOR WRITTEN REPLY
QUESTION NO: 1143
IN INTERNAL QUESTION PAPER NO 28 OF 8 SEPTEMBER 2006
Mr L B Labuschagne
(DA) to ask the Minister of Foreign Affairs:
(1) Whether performance assessments
were completed for all senior management officials from the rank of director and
above, including Heads of Mission, within the stipulated period of 2002-03 to
2004-05; if not, why not; if so, (a) how many were (i) completed and (ii) not
completed for each rank and (b) what steps are being taken to rectify the matter;
(2) Whether performance bonuses were paid to officials without a performance
assessment; if so, (a) why and (b) what amounts were paid? N1494E
(i) In 2003/4 cycle 93 SMS appraisals were completed
In 2004/5 cycle 123 SMS
appraisals were completed
(ii) Nom completion:
In 2003/4, 13 were
not completed for Chief Directors and 66 not completed for ` Directors
2004/5, 16 were not completed for Chief Directors and 67 not completed for Directors
(b) Steps for rectifying the matter:
- DDGs of each Branch took the responsibility
to follow up and ensure compliance.
- DDGs held individual discussions
with concerned individuals.
- Formal letters were written to each individual
requesting explanation for non-compliance.
- The Performance Management
System and process is discussed regularly at the Director General's Forum and
the Departmental Management Committee meeting to find ways to improve it.
(2) No performance bonuses or notch increases are paid to officials without performance