Status on the Signing of Performance Agreements by the Employees of the Department of Foreign Affairs
FOR WRITTEN REPLY
QUESTION NO: 85
PUBLISHED IN INTERNAL QUESTION PAPER NO 1 OF 08 FEBRUARY 2008
Mr AJ Leon (DA) to ask the Minister of Foreign Affairs:
(1) Whether all staff currently employed by her department have signed performance agreements; if not, what percentage has signed;
(2) in respect of each of the past three years up to and including 2007, how many (a) senior managers (levels 13-16) were employed by her department and (b) of these managers signed performance agreements:
(3) whether all senior managers who signed performance agreements were assessed during this period; if not ,why not; if so,
(4) whether any senior managers failed to meet the performance standards required of them; if so, what action was taken against them?
(1) No, 85% signed performance agreements
(2) (a) In 2005/6 cycle 225 SMS were employed
In 2006/7 cycle 237 SMS were employed
In 2007/8 cycle 239 SMS are employed
(b) In 2005/6 cycle 220 SMS agreements were signed
In 2006/7 cycle 229 SMS agreements were signed
In 2007/8 cycle 236 SMS agreements are signed
(3) No. Senior Managers who did not submit their performance appraisals were relatively new in their positions at Head Office and Missions abroad. Responsible DDG’s held discussions with the concerned employees.
(4) Yes. The individuals and their managers undertook to implement Personal Development Plans and these are monitored on a continuous basis.