President Jacob Zuma to attend the XV NAM Summit in Sharm El Sheikh, Egypt, 15 to 16 July 2009
13 July 2009
Pretoria – President Jacob Zuma, supported by the International Relations and Co-operation Minister Maite Nkoana-Mashabane, will lead the South African delegation to the XV Non Aligned Movement (NAM) Summit scheduled to take place at Sharm El Sheikh, Egypt from 15 to 16 July 2009.
South Africa became the member of NAM in 1994 and participates in its meetings within the context of promoting South-South cooperation and advancing the interests of the developing countries on the global stage.
The XV NAM Summit convenes under the theme “International Solidarity for Peace and Development” and will focus on the following areas:
- International solidarity for peace and development.
- International financial crises and its impact on the Members of the Movement, means to deal with the financial crises.
The Summit is expected to adopt outcomes documents on the following major issues:
- Global Issues including the review of the international situation; international law; promotion and preservation of multilateralism; peaceful settlement of disputes and non-use of threats or use of force; culture of peace and dialogue among civilisations; religions and cultures; right to self-determination and decolonisation; follow-up to the Millennium Declaration and the outcomes of Major UN Summits and Conferences; United Nations related issues including reform; disarmament and international security; terrorism; democracy; North-South dialogue and cooperation; and the role of regional organisations.
- Regional and Sub-Regional issues in the Middle East; Africa; and Latin America and the Caribbean.
- Development, Social and Human Rights issues including least developed countries; landlocked developing countries and small island states; trade; South-South cooperation; human rights and fundamental freedoms; International Humanitarian Law; information and communication technology; advancement of women; health; trans-national organised crime; drug trafficking; and corruption. .
As a build up to the XV NAM Summit a Ministerial Meeting of the Non-Aligned Movement Coordinating Bureau was held in Havana, Cuba, from 27 to 30 April 2009, and agreed on draft documents for presentation to the Heads of States at XV Nam Summit.
President Jacob Zuma is expected to return to South Africa on 16 July 2009.
For enquiries contact Vincent Magwenya on 082 835 6315