Communiqué on SADC Mediation in Madagascar, 12 July 2009
1. The former President of the Republic of Mozambique, His Excellency Joaquim Chissano arrived in the Republic of Madagascar on the 9 July 2009 to begin the mediation process relating to the political crisis in the country. His visit was in keeping with the decision of the Extraordinary Summit of SADC held on June 2009, in Sandton, South Africa.
2. His Excellency Chissano was appointed mediator by SADC to lead a process in Madagascar to help resolve the problems that have arisen in the country. President Chissano was accompanied by the following members of his mediation:
(i) Mr. Themba Dlamini, former Prime Minister of Kingdom Swaziland;
(ii) Mr. Charles Nqakula, former Minister of Defence of the Republic of South Africa;
(iii) Dr. Leonardo Simao, former Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Mozambique.
3. The mandate of the SADC mediation team is:
(i) to create a conducive environment for a productive and successful dialogue;
(ii) to identify a venue for the dialogue which is acceptable to all parties within the SADC Region;
(iii) to consult with the key stakeholders in Madagascar;
(iv) to collaborate with other international organisations, namely, African Union, United Nations, the International Organisations of the Francophone, and other international organisations and institutions;
(v) To hold the first consultative meeting within 30 days after the Summit and map the way forward;
(vi) The work of the SADC mediator should be finalised upon completion of the inclusion dialogue and holding of the general elections in Madagascar;
(vii) To report to the Organ Troika on regular basis and
(viii) Encourage the Malagasy stakeholders to take the lead of the inclusive dialogue and work to ensure that the Malagasy people take full ownership of the process.
4. During the mission, the mediation team met with the following stakeholders:
(i) Mr. Andry Rajoelina, head of high Authority of Transition (HTA);
(ii) The political movement of His Excellency Marc Ravalomanana, Tiako I Madagasikara (TIM), His Excellency Professor Albert Zafy, union National Des Democrats De Madagascar (UNDD) and His Excellency Didler Ratsikara, Andry sy Rihana Enty Manavotrs an’I Madagascar (AREMA);
(iii) Other stakeholders comprising of Civil Society, Traditional Leaders and other entities;
(iv) Diplomatic Corps accredited to Madagascar.
5. The mediation team will meet with other key personalities, namely:
(i) His Excellency Marc Ravalomanana;
(ii) His Excellency Didler Ratsikara and
(iii) His Excellency Professor Zafy Albert
6. During the process of consultation with the stakeholders, the following key points emerged:
(i) a clear reconciliation was highlighted.
7. The inclusive dialogue should aim at creating a conducive political environment for the country’s return to constitutional normalcy.
8. The SADC mediator and his team urged the international community to provide humanitarian assistance to alleviate the difficult living conditions of the people of Madagascar, which have been worsened by the current political developments.
9. The SADC mediation team will continuously remain seized with the ongoing political situation in the Republic of Madagascar.
10. His Excellency Joaquim Chissano thanked the leader of HTA, Mr. Andry Rajoelina, the people of Madagascar and other stakeholders for the warm reception and hospitality.
12 July 2009
Issued by Nomfanelo Kota on 082 459 3787
Department of International and Cooperation
Private bag x152