Deputy Foreign Minister Sue van der Merwe to lead South African Delegation to TICAD IV, 21 - 22 March 2009.
Pretoria: South African Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs Sue van der Merwe will, tomorrow Friday 20 March 2009, leave for Gaborone, Botswana to participate in the TICAD IV Ministerial-Level Follow–Up Meeting scheduled for 21-22 March 2009.
The aim of the Gaborone meeting is to examine and assess the progress on the implementation of assistance measures agreed to at Yokohama in May 2008 and to discuss the action plan adopted by this Summit.
South Africa is expected to make a keynote presentation during the fourth plenary session of the meeting focussing on the “Impact of the Global Economic Crisis and Economic Downturn”, ahead of the 2nd G20 Summit Meeting on Financial Markets and the World Economy to be held in London in April 2009.
In this regard TICAD IV will, among others, focus on the following areas:
- State of Progress in respect of the Yokohama Action Plan, and future challenges;
- Boosting Economic Growth - Prospects and Challenges;
- Achieving the Millennium Development Goals (MDG’s) - Prospects and Challenges;
- Human Security Issues (Health, Education, Community Development etc),
- Consolidation of Peace/Good Governance
- Impact of the Global Financial Crisis and Economic Downturn on Africa, and the Challenges.
The Africa-Japan Ministerial Follow-up Meeting to the Fourth Tokyo International Conference on African Development provides an opportunity to further North-South Co-operation for the social and economic development of Africa.
Deputy Minister’s delegation returns to South Africa on Monday, 23 March 2009.
Issued by Ronnie Mamoepa on 082 990 4853
Department of Foreign Affairs
Private Bag X152
19 March 2009.