South African Minister Maite Nkoana Mashabane participates in Bilateral Meetings on the Margins of UNGA 64, New York, Monday, 21 September 2009
New York: South African Minister of International Relations and Cooperation will today, Monday, 21 September 2009 participate in a series of bilateral meetings on the margins of the 64th session of the United Nations General Assembly.
Minister Maite Nkoana Mashabane will participate in these meetings guided by the pillars of our Foreign Policy aimed at:
- Strengthening South South Cooperation ( IBSA)
- Strengthening North - South Dialogue (Sweden),Sweden is the EU Rotating Presidency from July - December 2009,
- As well as the Promotion of the African Agenda ( Sierra Leone), including looking at possibilities of trilateral co-operation especially on conflict resolution and peace building.
South Africa, which is one of the partners in the India - Brazil South Africa tripartite alliance, will participate in this meeting whose Agenda will mainly look at the following issues:
- Perspectives for the 4th IBSA Summit will be discussed. Brazil rescheduled the meeting for a later date.
- The Reform of the United Nations Security Council will also feature prominently.
Following the IBSA Ministerial Meeting, Minister Nkoana Mashabane will also hold discussions with the Foreign Ministers of Sierra Leone, Her. Excellency, Ms. Zainab Hawa Bangurra as well as the
- Swedish Minister of International Development and Cooperation, Mrs Gunilla Carlsson
- Rwandese Foreign Minister, Mrs. Rosemary Museminali
For more information, contact Nomfanelo Kota on + 27 82 459 3787
c/o South African Permanent Mission in New York
21 September 2009