Status whether the Minister approved the visit by delegates of Kouga Municipality.
NATIONAL COUNCIL OF PROVINCES
FOR WRITTEN REPLY
QUESTION NO: 96
PUBLISHED IN INTERNAL QUESTION PAPER NO: 17 OF 09 OCTOBER 2009
MRS EC VAN LINGEN (DA) TO ASK THE MINISTER OF INTERNATIONAL RELATIONS AND COOPERATION:
- Whether the Minister approved the visit by delegates of Kouga Municipality for a Twinning expedition with the city of Ubatuba in Brazil in July 2009; if so, what are the relevant details?
- Whether a Twinning Agreement has been accepted and approved by the department; if so, what are the details of the agreement?
- Whether the Kouga Municipality have submitted a report to the Department of their return; if so, when was the report submitted, will a copy of the report be provided, if not, why not?
- What was the total cost incurred for this trip and who were the individuals who undertook this trip, and where was the fund of this trip obtained from?
- Whether the Minister can justify these International “Twinning “visits by local municipality under the current climate constraints; if so, why, if not why not?
- There was no formal communication to DIRCO regarding the visit. The Municipality communicated directly with its foreign counterparts.
- There was no approval as the Department is not expected to approve twinning agreements by stakeholders
- There was no post visit report submitted.
- DIRCO does not budget or carry out payments for its stakeholders
- The MOU comes to DIRCO to determine if it is in accordance with a non-binding twinning arrangement and to ensure that it does not assume obligations on the part of the South African Government