Status on whether pre-visit communication were made by each entity with DIRCO.
NATIONAL COUNCIL OF PROVINCES
FOR WRITTEN REPLY
QUESTION NO: 97
PUBLISHED IN INTERNAL QUESTION PAPER NO: 17 OF 09 OCTOBER 2009
MRS EC VAN LINGEN (DA) TO ASK THE MINISTER OF INTERNATIONAL RELATIONS AND COOPERATION:
With regards to each international visit undertook by each municipality, provincial government and Legislature in each of the provinces:
- Whether pre-visit communication were made by each entity with DIRCO why, if so, what are the relevant details in respect of each visit, and Whether each delegation submitted a programme to DIRCO that sets out the various activities that have been agreed on with the host (MOU/Twinning Agreements /Invitation); if not, why not; if so, what are the relevant details.
- Whether the department was informed of the level at which the delegation were to have appointments in respect of government opinion –makers and/or specialised technical personnel?
- Whether any of the visits resulted in any interaction with the South African Embassy staff in each of the visited countries, if not why, why not, if so, what are the relevant details in each of the cases?
- The only pre-visit communication forwarded to DIRCO are outlined on the attachments
- In some instances DIRCO was informed and requested to arrange appointments with counterparts.
- The majority of delegates pay courtesy calls to the South African Embassies when they visit abroad.