Statement on the Cabinet Meeting held on 10 February 2010
Cabinet held its ordinary meeting in Cape Town on 10 February 2010.
Cabinet approved in principle that government acquires an equity share of between 55% and 60% in Sunspace in order to retain South Africa’s national space capabilities. Sunspace is a private company that was set up as a spin-off of the satellite development research programme at the University of Stellenbosch. The company has undertaken a number of space programmes including the design, development and manufacturing of the SumbandilaSat that was launched into space recently. The Ministers of Finance, Trade and Industry and Science and Technology will finalise the most prudent funding model for the acquisition of the equity deal.
The 2010/11 – 2012/13 Industrial Policy Action Plan (IPAP) for the period 2010 to 2013 was approved for implementation. The new IPAP expands the first plan with more focus on scaling up the industrial policy interventions to alter the structure of the economy that supports decent work and sustainable livelihood.The plan will be reviewed annually to ensure that its objectives are met. Progress reports on the implementation of IPAP will be submitted to Cabinet every six months.
Cabinet approved the extension of the Interim Textile and Clothing Industry Development Programme (TCIDP) by one year, with redemption of Duty Credit Certificates limited to a list of agreed lines and inputs.
The Southern African Development Community (SADC) protocol on Science, Technology and Innovation was also approved and will be submitted to Parliament for ratification.
In addition, the 2010 Division of Revenue Bill was approved and will be tabled in parliament on 17 February 2010, by the Minister of Finance.
The following appointments were made:
- Mr Rapulane Sydney Molekane; Ms Gladys Kudjoe and Mr Sisa Ngombane were appointed to the posts of Deputy Directors General: Foreign Service in the Department of International Relations and Cooperation (DIRCO).
- Mr Sibusiso Sydney Gamede was appointed to the post of Deputy Chief Land Claims Commissioner (DDG level) in the Department of Rural Development and Land Reform.
- Mr Protas Thamsanqa Phili was appointed to the post of Chief Financial Officer (DDG level) in the Department of Rural Development and Land Reform.
- Mr E Kieck’s nomination for election as Director for capacity building at the World Customs Organisation (WCO) was supported.
- Ms Shanitha Khan was appointed to the post of Chief Operations Officer (DDG level) in the Department of Sport and Recreation.
- The appointment of the following as members of the National Small Business Advisory Council for a three-year period was noted: Mr N Thusi; Prof GM Nkondo; Ms PF Lugayeni; Mr J James; Mr R Ratshitanga; Ms D Ndaba; Prof M Ncube and Mr Sebueng.
- The three-year extension of the term of office of the following non-executive Directors of the Boards of the Passenger Rail Agency of South Africa was noted: Mr S Buthelezi; Ms L Letlhape; Mr B Boshielo; Mr V Thwala; Mr H Lupuwana; Ms M Serobe; Mr P Moiloa; Ms B Gasa and Mr M Fakir.
- The three-year extension of the term of office of the following non-executive Directors of the Railway Safety Regulator was noted: Mr C Ntuli; Prof M Hermanus; Ms T Tsautse; Ms B Madumise; Mr C Ntumba; Mr B Carver; Mr W Venter; Mr C de Vos; Mr J Malatse and Ms M Somaru.
- The term of office of the following non-executive Directors of the Cross Border Road Transport Agency was extended for 18 months: Mr G Phalafala; Ms N Ally; Mr B Mpondo; Mr L Twala; Mr H Dikgale; Ms M du Preez; Ms B Horner-Ferreira and Ms H Mnguni.
- The following members of the Advisory Committee for the Road Accident Fund will continue to serve until further notice from the Minister: Mr V Mahlangu; Ms K Moloto; Mr T Moyo; Mr S Msibi; Prof C Greef; Dr A Dasoo; Ms G Motau and Ms K Manana.
- The following were ratified as Members of the Board of Mineral Technology (MINTEK): Mr MS Mphomela (chairperson), Ms SM Maja (Deputy Chairperson); Ms MJ Ndlovu; Mr DJ Block; Mr PMT White; Mrs NZ Qunta; Ms SJ Sekgobela; Mr P Streng; Mr M Mabuza and Mr T Nell (alternative member).
- Ms Zodwa Ntuli was appointed to the National Lotteries Board.
Contact: 083 645 0810
Issued by Government Communications (GCIS)
12 February 2010