Department of International Relations and Cooperation (DIRCO)’s response to a newspaper article on alleged wasteful expenditure.
The Department of International Relations and Cooperation (DIRCO) wishes to confirm that an amount of R426 million was spent on travelling, accommodation and catering from March 2008 to September 2009 as reported by Business Day of 19 Friday 2010.
The expenditure on accommodation, travelling and catering was budgeted for during the two financial years.
The money was spent in carrying out the mandate of the Department. The Minister of International Relations and Cooperation, in accordance with Cabinet portfolio responsibilities, is entrusted with the formulation, execution and promotion of South Africa’s International Relations policy and with the daily conduct of South Africa’s International Relations and Cooperation policy.
The expenditure stated above has been incurred on travelling and accommodation in respect of the following major activities:
- Travelling and accommodation related to State visits and Presidential inauguration
- Visits by Heads of Missions to countries of accreditation as per Department’s strategic objectives
- Development Projects in Africa, Peace Operations and AU meetings
- Multilateral and Bilateral meetings as per Department’s strategic objectives
- Travelling and accommodation for officials placed abroad including training
- Operationalisation of the Department’s Business Plan
- Financial Reviews, Implementation of ICT projects and internal audit services in Missions abroad.
It should be noted that the Department of International Relations and Cooperation abides by and is accountable to governmental rules and regulations.
For more information contact the Chief Director for Public Diplomacy, Mr. Saul Kgomotso Molobi on 082 940 1647 or e-mail him at firstname.lastname@example.org
Department of International Relations and Cooperation
OR Tambo Building
460 Soutpansberg Road