Minister Maite Nkoana-Mashabane leads the South African delegation during debates on the Ministerial Committee of the Organ on Politics, Defence and Politics on 29 March 2011 in Zambia
The Minister of International Relations and Cooperation, H.E. Ms Maite Nkoana-Mashabane, has today, 29 March 2011, led a South African delegation during the debates of the Southern African Development Community's Ministerial Committee of the Organ on Politics, Defence and Politics (MCO), which is held in the Republic of Zambia. The Ministerial Meeting is attended by the Foreign Affairs Ministers of Zambia, H.E. Mr Kabinga Mpande, and of Mozambique, H.E. Oldemiro Baloi. The Ministerial Meeting takes place ahead of the SADC Troika Summit which will be attended by the Heads of State and Government from the Member States, and followed yesterday's Senior Government Officials' consultation.
The meeting deliberated upon some of the issues which will be considered by the Heads of State and Government tomorrow at their Summit. These issues included the following:
- The Status of Ratification and/or Accession to the Protocols Related to the Organ on Politics, Defence & Security Cooperation,
- Report on the Implementation of Summit Decisions,
- Reports on the Political and Security Situation in the Region,
- Debate on matters relating to the Consolidation of Democracy in the Region, also considering issues pertaining to the Development of SADC’s Capacity for Mediation, Conflict Prevention and Preventative Diplomacy, and also
- To consider Progress Report on Security Situation in the Region and SADC’s Assistance to the DRC.
South Africa participates in the SADC Troika following the 2010 SADC Summit which, elected H.E. Rupiah Bwezani Banda, President of the Republic of Zambia, as Chairperson of the Organ for Politics, Defense and Security Cooperation (Organ); H.E. Jacob Gedleyihlekisa Zuma as the incoming Chairperson of the Organ and H. E. Mr. Armando Emilio Guebuza, President of the Republic of Mozambique, as the outgoing Chairperson of the Organ. The country will assume the Chair of the Organ during the August 2011-2012 tenure. Its role as a member of the Troika will include to collectively lead SADC in implementing its Peace and Security agenda and to give policy direction in between the Summits.
For further information contact the DIRCO Spokesperson, Mr Clayson Monyela, on 082 884 5974 082 884 5974 .
Issued by the Department of International Relations and
OR Tambo Building
460 Soutpansberg Road
29 March 2011