SADC Extra-Ordinary Inter-State Politics and Diplomacy Committee (ISPDC)
1. The Extra-ordinary Inter State Politics and Diplomacy Committee (ISPDC) met at the Cape Town International Convention Centre, Republic of South Africa, on 12 February 2012 and considered, among other things, the outcome of the AU Commission elections and the political developments in Madagascar.
2. On the issue of SADC candidature for the African Union Commission, the Extra-ordinary ISPDC decided as follows:
- SADC remains committed and united to its candidate for the Chairperson of the AU Commission, Hon. Dr. Nkosazana Dlamini-Zuma, Minister of Home Affairs of the Republic of South Africa;
- That the Ad-hoc Committee of Eight Head of States and Government, meet urgently to address the issues relating to the next elections of the members of the AU Commission as mandated by the AU Summit on 30 January 2012;
- The Republic of Angola as the Chairperson of SADC will represent the region in the Committee of Eight;
- SADC remains committed to the threshold of two thirds (2/3) majority for the election of the Members of the AU Commission in accordance with Rule 42 of the Rules of Procedure of the Assembly of the Union;
- SADC urges the AU Assembly to conclude the electoral process for the AUC Chairperson as a matter of urgency; and
3. On Madagascar, the Extra-ordinary ISPDC reaffirmed the significance of the Roadmap as the only mechanism for resolving the current political crisis in Madagascar.
4. The Extra-ordinary ISPDC urged all Malagasy stakeholders to adhere to the letter and spirit of the signed Roadmap and its full implementation.
5. The Extra-ordinary ISPDC urged the Malagasy Stakeholders to expedite the process of implementing the Roadmap in order for SADC to consider lifting of sanctions on Madagascar.
6. On the Africa Nations Cup (AFCON), The Extra-ordinary ISPDC commended the Republic of Zambia National Team (Chipololo) for qualifying for the finals and wishes them success in the final.
7. The Extra-ordinary ISPDC expressed gratitude to the people and the Government of the Republic South Africa for hosting the meeting.
12 February, 2012
Cape Town, South Africa