21 February 2012
Minister Nkoana-Mashabane to participate in the International London Conference on Somalia
International Relations and Cooperation Minister Maite Nkoana-Mashabane will visit the United Kingdom, to participate in the International London Conference on Somalia, scheduled for 23 February 2012.
Senior representatives from 40 countries and multilateral organisations are expected to participate in the Conference, which seeks to deliver a new approach on Somalia that will give renewed support to the already existing processes put in place by the African Union and the United Nations.
It is expected that the London Conference will deliberate on the following issues that remain critical to the attainment of peace and stability in Somalia:
- Security: sustainable funding for the African Union Mission in Somalia (AMISOM) and support for Somali police and justice sectors;
- Political process: agreement on what should succeed the transitional federal issues in Somalia after August 2012;
- Local stability: a coordinated package of international support to the Somali regions;
- Piracy: increased effort to combating piracy;
- Humanitarian assistance: renewed commitment to tackling the humanitarian situation; and
- International coordination: agreement on improved handling of the Somali situation.
Enquiries: Mr Clayson Monyela, Spokesperson for the Department of International Relations and Cooperation, 082 884 5974
Issued by the Department of International Relations and Cooperation
OR Tambo Building
460 Soutpansberg Road