29 August 2013
50th Anniversary Celebration of the Pan African Women’s Organisation (PAWO)
The 50th Anniversary Celebration of the Pan-African Women Organisation (PAWO) will be held on 30-31 August 2013 in Pretoria under the theme: “African Renaissance: The Pan-African Women’s Role.” The event will be hosted by the Minister of International Relations and Cooperation, Ms Maite Nkoana-Mashabane.
The Pan-African Women Organisation was created on 31 July 1962 in Dar Es Salam, the United Republic of Tanzania. It was the first continental women’s organisation. One of the main aims of forming PAWO was to mobilize women to fight for their liberation especially in countries that were still colonized. Today, it aims to ensure that it remains a relevant and strong voice of women, in Africa and the world.
Remarks will be made by Minister Nkoana-Mashabane and the President of PAWO, Madame Assetou Koite, amongst others. The key note address will be delivered by the Minister of Defence and Military Veterans, Ms Nosiviwe Mapisa-Nqakula.
PAWO continues to have a key role to play in today’s society and the successful conclusion of 50th Anniversary will culminate in the adoption of a declaration, paving the way forward.
Members of the media are invited to attend the opening and closing session of the PAWO Meeting:
DATE: 30-31 August 2013
TIME: 09:00 (Friday, 30 August 2013) and 11h30 (Saturday, 31 August 2013)
VENUE: Department of International Relations and Cooperation (DIRCO), OR Tambo Building, 460 Soutpansberg Road, Rietondale, Pretoria
Please be advised that there will be live accreditation at DIRCO (1st Basement, Gym), on Friday, 30 August 2013 at 08h00. Please bring your ID/Passport and press cards.
RSVPs: Media wishing to cover the event, are kindly requested to submit their details (name & surname, passport/ID no, media house, designation, and contact details) to Juanique Bowman at firstname.lastname@example.org
Enquiries: Mr Nelson Kgwete, +27 76 431 3078
Friday, 30 August 2013
Day 1 – Opening Session
09:00 - 09:45 Arrival of Guests and Registration
10:00 - 11:30 Opening Session
10:00 – 12:00 Opening Session: A celebration and reflection on the Pan-African Women’s Organisation
- Welcome Remarks by Pan-African Women’s Organisation President, Madame Assetou Koité
- Message of Support on behalf of the Government of Tanzania (as the birth country of the Organisation)
- Message of Support on behalf of the African Union
- Message of Support on behalf of UN Women
- Introduction by the Minister of International Relations and Cooperation of the Republic of South Africa, Ms Maite Nkoana-Mashabane, of the Key Note Speaker
- Key Note Address – delivered by the Minister of Defence and Military Veterans of the Republic of South Africa, Ms Nosiviwe Mapisa-Nqakula
Saturday, 31 August 2013
Day 2 – Closing Session
12:00 – 14:00 Closing Session
Session Chair: Ms Yatima Nahara, Secretary General of the Pan-African Women’s Organisation
- Adoption of Outcomes and Declaration
- Vote of Thanks: Presented by a Member State (Republic of the Congo – to be confirmed)
- Closing Remarks: Madame Assetou Koite, President of the Pan-African Women’s Organisation
ISSUED BY THE DEPARTMENT OF INTERNATIONAL RELATIONS AND COOPERATION
OR Tambo Building
460 Soutpansberg Road