Logistical or Financial Support by the South African Government to assist Zimbabwe towards free and fair elections
FOR WRITTEN REPLY
QUESTION NO: 245 (NW262E)
PUBLISHED IN INTERNAL QUESTION PAPER NO: 2-2013 OF 22 FEBRUARY 2013
MRS JD KILIAN (COPE) TO ASK THE MINISTER OF INTERNATIONAL RELATIONS AND COOPERATION:
- Whether, with reference to the imminent elections in Zimbabwe, the Government is contemplating (a) logistical or (b) financial support to assist Zimbabwe towards free and fair elections; if not, what is the position in this regard; if so, what are the relevant details;
- Whether (a) cash or (b) other contributions by the Government would be subject to any formal conditions in accordance with free and fair elections; if not, what is the position in this regard; if so, what are the relevant details;
- Whether the Government has to date been approached by the Zimbabwean Government for contributions towards covering a reported shortfall of approximately R1,73 billion required to hold a (a) referendum and (b) general elections; if not, what is the position in this regard; if so, what are the relevant details?
- Noting that South Africa is one of the guarantors of the Global Political Agreement (GPA) as well as being the SADC-mandated Facilitator in the Zimbabwe political dialogue, the South African Government has, if requested, an obligation to provide logistical and financial support to the upcoming referendum and elections in Zimbabwe in order to assist the country hold credible, free and fair elections.
- South Africa’s contemplated contribution, like all other contributions, will be assisting the Government and people of Zimbabwe to create an enabling environment to conduct legitimate, credible and free and fair elections.
- Yes, the Multiparty Zimbabwean Negotiators, at the last meeting with the Facilitation Team, formally raised the issue of the funding challenge that the Zimbabwean Government is facing to hold both the referendum and elections. In this regard, the South African Government is considering the request.