Purpose of the African Renaissance Fund and which of the goals set out have already been achieved
FOR WRITTEN REPLY
QUESTION NO: 942 (NW1089E)
PUBLISHED IN INTERNAL QUESTION PAPER NO: 10-2014 0F 22 AUGUST 2014
Ms M Moonsamy of (EFF) to ask the Minister of International Relations and Cooperation:
(1) What is the purpose of the African Renaissance Fund and which of the goals set out have already been achieved; (2)
(2) how is this fund monitored;
(3) what is the finding of the audit committee of the African Renaissance Fund as to whether the management report and the audit report are a true reflection of the financial state of affairs? NW1089E
(1) The purpose of the African Renaissance and International Cooperation Fund is to enhance co-operation between the Republic and other countries, in particular African countries; and the promotion of democracy and good governance; the prevention and resolution of conflict; socio-economic development and integration; and humanitarian assistance and human resource development.
Since its inception in 2001, the abovementioned goals of the African Renaissance and International Cooperation Fund have largely been attained through various projects undertaken with our partners using financial support from the Fund.
(2) Like all public entities, the Fund is monitored through various means such as regular reporting to the executive authority, regular audit by the Office of the Auditor-General South Africa and other relevant institutions as well as regular reporting to the South African Parliament.
(3) The Audit Committee concurs with the management report and audit report of the African Renaissance and International Cooperation Fund.