Joint Communiqué issued upon the conclusion of the Working Visit to the Republic of Suriname by His Excellency Luwellyn Landers, Deputy-Minister of International Relations and Co-operation of the Republic of South Africa, July 1st, 2015
1. His Excellency Luwellyn Landers, Deputy-Minister of International Relations and Co-operation of the Republic of South Africa paid a Working Visit to Suriname on July 1st – 6th, 2015.
2. Both Ministers discussed several matters of mutual interest. They exchanged ideas on ways and means on advancing their shared vision of intensifying the relations and cooperation between Suriname and South Africa. Agreement was reached on diverse areas that can forge closer ties between the two countries.
3. The two Ministers agreed that their respective governments pledge their commitment to further support the existing bilateral relations between both countries through signing of the Memorandum of Understanding on the Establishment of Political Consultation which will, inter alia, promote good and cordial relations and discussion on issues of mutual interest.
4. Both Ministers subscribed to the substantial potential of cooperation in the area of exploration and exploitation of natural resources on the one side and human capacity building and institutional strengthening on the other side. The potential of joint exploitation of mineral resources was highlighted as well as the need for increased technical cooperation at all levels between both countries.
5. Both sides reaffirmed the importance of people to people contact and cultural exchanges as crucial vehicles for strengthening mutual understanding and agreed within the framework of the African Diaspora, to instruct their respective Ministers of Foreign Affairs to engage in negotiations towards reaching agreement on visa arrangements for holders of diplomatic and service passports.
6. The endorsement and signing of this MOU is viewed by both partners as a clear expression of the political will and readiness to bilateral and multilateral, nationwide, regionally and globally strengthen and expand their mutual solidarity and cooperation
7. His Excellency, Deputy- Minister of International Relations and Co-operation of the Republic of South Africa, Luwellyn Landers expressed his appreciation to His Excellency Winston G. Lackin, Minister of Foreign Affairs, for the hospitality extended to him and his delegation.
Issued by the Department of International Relations and Cooperation
O. R. Tambo Building
460 Soutpansberg Road