Functionality of the South African High Commission in Delhi, India
FOR WRITTEN REPLY
QUESTION NO: 2110 (NW2421E) AS PUBLISHED IN IQP NO.19-2015 OF 5 MAY 2015
MR S MOKGALAPA (DA) TO ASK THE MINISTER OF INTERNATIONAL RELATIONS AND COOPERATION:
(1) Is the South African High Commission in Delhi, India, fully functional;
Yes, the High Commission is fully functional.
(2) is there currently a backlog in processing either (a)(i) tourist or (ii) critical skills visa, or (b) permanent residence applications; if so, why have these delays occurred;
(a) (i) No. The High Commission is processing according to the five day norm prescribed by the Immigration Act.
(a) (ii) No. The High Commission is processing according to the 60 day norm prescribed by DHA regulations.
(b) No. Currently, there are also no outstanding permanent residence applications with the High Commission.
(3) is the Commission currently experiencing technical difficulties with regard to infrastructure; if so, what are the reasons for this;
No, the High Commission is not currently experiencing any technical infrastructural difficulties.
(4) are officials within the Commission engaged with Delhi’s local tourism operators to South Africa, particularly on issues pertaining to the new immigration regulations; if so,
Yes, the High Commission and South African Tourism in Mumbai are engaged with local tour operators on an on-going basis.
(5) have the officials been made aware of decreased bookings and interest in travel to South Africa during these consultations?
Yes, the Officials at the High Commission are aware of challenges with respect to tourism numbers from India to South Africa.