Amount budgeted by the Department of International Relations and Cooperation for the maintenance of foreign missions in the 2016-17 financial year
FOR ORAL REPLY
QUESTION NO. 256 (NO2893E)
PUBLISHED IN INTERNAL QUESTION PAPER NO: 13-2016 OF 16 NOVEMBER 2016
Mr M Hlengwa (IFP) to ask the Minister of International Relations and Cooperation:
(1) What amount has her department budgeted for the maintenance of foreign missions in the 2016-17 financial year;
(2) Whether she will consider reducing the number of foreign missions as a cost-cutting measure, if not, why not; if so, what are the relevant details?
The reply to the question is as follows:
(1) The Departmment of Internatonal Relations and Cooperation’s maintenance budget for foreign missions abroad for the 2016-17 financial year is as follows;
- Foreign mission posting (Chanceries) – R6 728 675.00
- Residence – Embasies posting - Official Residence R 4 287 477.00
- Foreign missions housing posting – Staff Accommodation R 2 782 693.00
(2) The department is undertaking assessment of what cost cutting measure maybe implemented, which will required a detailed analysis and an impact study on the implications for bilateral relations and its global governance agenda. The department however undertaking some serious assessment of what cost cutting measures may be implemented.