24 August 2023
South Africa to co-chair China–Africa Leaders Round Table Dialogue
President Cyril Ramaphosa will later today, 24 August 2023, co-chair the China–Africa Leaders Round Table along with His Excellency President Xi Jinping of the People’s Republic of China after the XV BRICS Summit.
The theme for the Roundtable is: “Promoting African Integration and Jointly Building a High-Level Africa-China Community with a Shared Future”. The initiative to hold the Roundtable was made by the Government of China.
The current Chairs of the eight Regional Economic Communities (RECs) of Africa are expected to participate, including the Chair of the African Union; the Chair of the Forum on China–Africa Cooperation; and the Chairperson of the African Union Commission.
The expected outcomes of the China–Africa Leaders Roundtable dialogue will be to further heighten and reiterate Chinese political commitment to regional and continental integration, with a focus on supporting Agenda 2063: The Africa We Want.
The various Chairs of the RECs would also have the opportunity to frontload developmental challenges in their respective regions and engage with the Chinese Head of State and Government on how China could further support regional economic growth.
As co-chair of the event, President Ramaphosa will have the opportunity to actively steer the political discussions and ensure that key messages on African development are conveyed to the Chinese authorities as a key development player on the Continent.
President Ramaphosa will also advocate for the following key address:
- Highlighting the importance of China–South Africa bilateral relations, against the backdrop of the successfully concluded 4th State Visit, in supporting the African Agenda.
- Contextualising the conclusion and outcomes of the BRICS Summit (and the related theme on African development) to the discussions of the Roundtable, moving forward.
- Drawing in the FOCAC process as the principal multilateral engagement between Africa and China and making the relevant linkages to support the Second Ten Year Implementation Plan of Agenda 2063 and calling for joint monitoring and evaluation.
- Highlighting the importance of the transformative nature of infrastructural development on the African Continent and linking future FOCAC support to the North-South Corridor projects of the Presidential Infrastructure Championing Initiative (PICI).
- Stressing the key priority areas of development as Africa moves into the second decade of Agenda 2063, inclusive of calling for specific Chinese support for the full operationalisation of the African Continental Free Trade Area (AfCFTA).
- Calling for greater cooperation in international affairs and multilateral institutions, inclusive of upholding the UN-based global system and UN Security Council Reform aimed at overall African development.
At the conclusion of the Roundtable, it is envisaged that a Joint Statement will be adopted by the participating Heads of State and Government.
Note to media: Due to restricted space at the venue of the China–Africa Leaders Roundtable Dialogue, a media pool is in place.
Media enquiries: Vincent Magwenya, Spokesperson to the President – 082 835 6315
Issued by: The Presidency